Like most people you probably use your kitchen everyday and will continue to do so for the life of your kitchen. The wear and tear of your kitchen cabinets is much more than any other cabinetry in your home what’s more cabinets will get dirty and collect food particles and bacteria.
When painting kitchen cabinets we recommend oil based enamel, our choice is Sherwin Williams Promar 200. Oil based enamel will not run when using a moderate amount of water or even some abrasives to clean cabinets throughout the life of your kitchen.
These are minimum requirements for materials on a small kitchen – usually 12 Cabinet doors or less.
- 2 Rolls of Trimaco Floor Covering
- 4 Rolls of Green Frog Tape 1.88″
- 2 Rolls of Blue Tape 1.88″
- 6 Rolls of Masking Tape
- 4 Gallons of Paint Thinner
- 2 Gallons of Lacker Thinner
- Primer – Problock from Sherwin Williams – 2 Gallons
- Promar 200 or Promar 400 Enamel – 3 Gallons
The Painting Process
A normal paint job for cabinets will usually take 7 to 10 days to complete depending on a few factors.
- Clean all cabinets with special cleaner (4-8 man hours)
- Cover all floors with special paper (4-8 man hours)
- Cover all walls in the kitchen (2-4 man hours)
- Cover ceilings in the kitchen (1-2 man hours depending on height)
- Cover all hinges and rails (4 to 12 hours depending on size)
- Cover countertops and backsplash
- Sand Cabinets as needed
Prime Cabinets and more prep work
- Spray 1st coat of primer
- Let primer cure for 24 hours
- Fix cabinet and door imperfections (up to 20 man hours)
- Use putty on all holes and cracks
- Use bondo on all holes and cracks after putty
- Sand down using 120 grit sand paper
- Sand down using 220 grit sand paper
- Spray 2nd coat of primer
- Let primer cure again for 24 hours
- Fix imperfections and sand as needed
As you can see, spray paint cabinets is a long process that requires a lot of patience and hard work. In the painting trade, not all painters feel capable of providing a good paint job. Some people even consider this a work of art.
Labor Only on a small kitchen (under 12 cabinet doors) is $1,800 not including materials.
Our painting team at Marvel Works has over 20 years of experience painting cabinets and we live to serve. We thrive on good workmanship and we cannot wait to serve you. Please contact us for any questions.
What our customers say about us
Customer satisfaction speaks volumes of a contractor, check out the google reviews and if you’d like to speak to any of these customer personally or see the work we’ve done, please call Gabe so we can put you in touch with them:
Follow us on Instagram
Hey it’s Gabe. I work with an amazing group of people that will help Carlos and I deliver an amazing service in home improvement for you.